In 2016, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts established a Nuclear Decommissioning Citizens Advisory Panel (NDCAP) to advise the Governor and educate residents across the state on pre- and post-decommissioning activities related to Entergy’s Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station.
Our Executive Director, Pine duBois, has been appointed to serve on NDCAP, along with legislators, energy experts, and town officials. We look forward to having a seat at the table and for the opportunity to advocate for the environment in terms of Pilgrim’s decommissioning and cleanup.
As mentioned, the purpose of NDCAP is so that citizens can get answers about Pilgrim’s decommissioning, and so the panel members can make recommendations to the Governor. If you have questions or comments that you would like us to pass on to the panel, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be posting notes and updates about NDCAP meetings and activities here, so please check back to this webpage to stay updated.
Meeting #1, May 24, 2017
WHEN: May 24, 2017, 6:00-8:00 pm
WHERE: Plymouth South High School, Plymouth, MA 02360
Video of Meeting:
Media Coverage of Meeting #1:
Pilgrim panel optimistic despite rocky start, Cape Cod Times, May 25, 2017
Pilgrim’s future fuels heated debate as citizens panel begins work, Wicked Local Plymouth, May 27, 2017
Panel learns about the decommissioning options at Pilgrim Station, The Manomet Current, May 26, 2017
Meeting #2, June 21, 2017
WHEN: June 21, 2017, 6:00-8:00 pm
WHERE: Plymouth Public Library, 132 South St, Plymouth, MA 02360
Video of Meeting:
Media Coverage of Meeting #2:
Pilgrim advisory group wants ground rules set, Cape Cod Times, June 7, 2017
Fission already apparent on nuclear panel, Cape Cod Times, June 20, 2017
Citizen Panel Sets Agenda For Decommissioning Pilgrim’s Nuclear Power Plant, WGBH News, June 22, 2017
Meeting #3, July 19, 2017
WHEN: July 19, 2017, 6:30-8:00 pm
WHERE: Plymouth Community Intermediate School (PCIS) – Little Theatre, 117 Long Pond Road, Plymouth, MA 02360
Information that was discussed during the NDCAP meeting:
1. Meeting Notice and Agenda
2. Revised Draft List of Subcommittees or Subpanels with Draft Ground Rules
3. Draft Typical Agenda for Future NDCAP Meetings
4. Draft Potential NDCAP Schedule for Future Meetings
5. Excerpt from NDCAP Legislation Containing Duties of Panel
Video of meeting:
Meeting #4, September 27, 2017
UPDATE: The Sept. meeting date has been changed from Sept. 20th to Sept 27th.
NDCAP met on Wednesday, Sept. 27, 2017, from 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm, at the Plymouth Community Intermediate School (PCIS) – Little Theatre, 117 Long Pond Road, Plymouth, MA 02360.
Meeting #5, October 18, 2017
Stay tuned for more information on the October meeting…
- Safely Managing Used Nuclear Fuel. Nuclear Energy Institute. Sept. 2016. Fact Sheet.
- Decommissioning Nuclear Power Plants. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Backgrounder Document.
- Decommissioning Nuclear Power Plants. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Brochure, June 2017.
- Licensing Action Submittal Plan – Decommissioning Slides. Entergy’s presentation slides discussed on NRC conference call, June 20, 2017.
- Entergy’s Legacy of Contamination at Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station (Draft 3 Report). Cape Cod Bay Watch. July 2017.
- Generic Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for License Renewal of Nuclear Plants: Regarding Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station – Final Report (NUREG-1437, Supplement 29) (July 2007)