CCBW Publications / Comment Letters (JRWA/CCBW) / Pilgrim – General Info / Nuclear Energy – General Info / Radioactive Waste / Groundwater Pollution / Endangered Species / Flooding and Climate-Related Risks / Maps / Fact Sheets / Videos
Cape Cod Bay Watch Publications
- Entergy’s Legacy of Contamination at Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station (Draft 3 Report; July 2017)
- ‘Of Nuclear Interest’ article series, published monthly by GateHouse Media (2012-2017)
- Cape Cod Bay Watch Brochure (updated 2016)
- Entergy, Our Bay is Not Your Dump: A call to EPA and MassDEP to terminate Entergy’s Clean Water Act permit for Pilgrim Nuclear and end the destruction and pollution of Cape Cod Bay (Final Report; June 2015)
- How Pilgrim Impacts Marine Life Fact Sheet (2014)
- What is Thermal Pollution? Fact Sheet (2014)
Comment Letters (JRWA/CCBW)
- JRWA Letter to DOE & NRC; Re: Aerial Photos of Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station Underscore Concerns of On-site Flooding, December 26, 2016
- Comment on EPA’s DRAFT AUTHORIZATION TO DISCHARGE UNDER NPDES FOR ENTERGY’S PILGRIM NUCLEAR POWER STATION (NPDES PERMIT NO. MA0003557), July 25, 2016
- DOE’s Consent Based Siting Process; JRWA’s Response to IPC (Invitation for Public Comment), June 10, 2016
- Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking; Regulatory Improvements for Decommissioning Power Plants (Docket ID NRC–2015–0070), March 15, 2016
- Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station Flooding Hazard Reevaluation AREVA Report (doc. #51-9226940-000), August 5, 2015
- JRWA Comments Regarding NRC Regulatory Issue Summary 2015-XX Protective Action Recommendations for Members of the Public on Bodies of Water (Docket NRC-2015-0121), July 9, 2015
- Proposed Rule; Critical Habitat for Endangered North Atlantic Right Whale (Docket No. 100217099-4774-02); NOAA-NMFS-2014-0085, April 3, 2015
- EPA’s Clean Power Plan Proposed Rule (Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2013-0602), December 1, 2014
- Comments Regarding DEP’s Proposed Clean Energy Standard for Massachusetts, October 31, 2014
- CCBW Letter to the NRC, Jan. 2-3 Storm and Simultaneous Astronomical High Tides at Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station, December 30, 2013
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s request for comments on the Draft Waste Confidence Generic Environmental Impact Statement (Docket ID NRC–2012–0246), December 20, 2013
Pilgrim Nuclear – General Info
- NRC Webpage on Increased Oversight of Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant (started February 2016)
- An Analysis of the Impact of a Disaster at the Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant on the Economy of Cape Cod, by O. Keshawarz, UMass Amherst (February 2014)
- Seismic activity exceeds Pilgrim nuke plant’s design. Legere C. May 1, 2014, Cape Cod Times.
- Senator’s Markey and Warren Letter to the NRC: Seismic Risk at Pilgrim and Seabrook Greater Than Nuclear Reactors Are Licensed to Withstand (April 8, 2014)
- Pilgrim Risks: Accidents and Daily Operations, by Mary Lampert, Pilgrim Watch (2014)
- Sheltering Tips for a Radiological Emergency, by Mary Lampert, Pilgrim Watch (2013)
- Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station License No. DPR-35, the 20-year operating license that was issued to Entergy Nuclear Generation Company (May 29, 2012)
- March 2012 letter from the Cape Cod National Seashore Advisory Commission to the NRC opposing the relicening of Pilgrim.
- Generic Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for License Renewal of Nuclear Plants: Regarding Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station – Final Report (NUREG-1437, Supplement 29)
- Risks and Risk-Reducing Options Associated with Pool Storage of Spent Nuclear Fuel at the Pilgrim and Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plants, Thompson G. (2006)
- Report to the MA Attorney General on the potential consequences of a spent-fuel-pool fire at the Pilgrim or Vermont Yankee nuclear plant. Beyea J. (2006). Consulting in the Public Interest.
- Stratus Consulting. 2002. Habitat-based replacement costs: An ecological valuation of the benefits of minimizing impingement and entrainment at the cooling water intake structure of the Pilgrim Power Generating Station in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Report for the U.S. EPA, Region 1.
- New York Times. Jan. 1, 1989. Pilgrim Reactor Restarted After 3-Year Shutdown.
- U.S. Committee on Labor and Human Resources. 1988. Hearing before the Committee on Labor and Human Resources United States Senate. Restart of the Pilgrim I Nuclear Power Plant. Plymouth, MA. 876 pp.
- Tye L. Boston Globe. Jan. 21, 1988. Radioactivity detected in dirt pile near Pilgrim.
Nuclear Energy – General Info
- Nuclear Regulaory Commission Informational Digest, NUREG-1350, Volume 29, 2017-2018: describes the NRC’s responsibilities and activities, and provides general information on nuclear-related topics. It is intended to serve as a quick reference to major facts about the agency and the industry it regulates.
- IEER. June 5, 2012. Analysis of Cancer Risks in Populations near Nuclear Facilities, Phase I.
- Sovacool BK. Jan. 2011. Questioning the safety and reliability of nuclear power: An assessment of nuclear incidents and accidents. Gaia, 20/2: 95-103.
- Lochbaum D. May 2004. U.S. nuclear plants in the 21st century: The risk of a lifetime. Report by the Union of Concerned Scientists.
- Licensed to Kill is an informative and compelling report detailing how once-through cooling operations like the one at Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station in Plymouth are irreversibly harming our marine life. (SECC, NIRS, STAR, HSUS, Esquire, 2001)
- Lowdown on Pilgrim’s So-Called “LOW-LEVEL RADIOACTIVE WASTE, Pilgrim Watch, May 2014
- Department of Public Health Environmental Monitoring Report For 2015. (May 2017)
- Department of Public Health Tritium Report for Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station (June 13, 2012)
- Letter to National Marine Fisheries Service (Biological Assessment of Pilgrim; May 9, 2012)
- Letter to National Marine Fisheries Service (ESA Section 7 Consultation; April 24, 2012)
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service Letter (ESA Section 7 Consultation Regarding Roseate Terns; April 17, 2012)
- Memorandum from Charles “Stormy” Mayo, Ph.D., Senior Scientist, Director of Right Whale Habitat Studies Program and Senior Adviser for the Whale Disentanglement Program at Provincetown Center for Coastal Studies (April 13, 2012)
- Letter to National Marine Fisheries Service (ESA Section 7 Consultation; April 12, 2012)
Flooding and Climate-Related Risks
- December 2015 – Analysis of AREVA Flood Hazard Re-Evaluation Report: Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station, Plymouth, MA. Coastal Risk Consulting.
- October 5, 2015 – JRWA/CCBW’s letter to the Boston Globe. Re: Article claiming Pilgrim is carbon-free.
- May 2014 – Huffington Post. Nuclear Energy Is Not a Solution for Global Warming.
- NIRS. Nuclear Power and Climate Change.
- November 2013 – NRDC. Energy Experts Respond to Scientists’ Letter Advocating Nuclear Power.
- November 2013 – CCBW. Of Nuclear Interest: Nuclear Power in Our Changing Climate.
- June 8, 2012 – Entergy’s Response to NRC’s Request for Information regarding flooding aspects of Recommendations 2.1 and 2.3 of the Near-Term Task Force Review of Insights from the Fukushima Dai-ichi Accident.
- May 11, 2012 – NRC provides nuclear licensees with a prioritization plan and the resultant list of due dates for all for individual plants to complete flood reevaluations (based on their March 12th Request for Information).
- March 12, 2012 – Request for Information by NRC
Maps & Flood Report
- Pilgrim Elevation Analysis. Northeastern Geospatial Research Professionals and Jones River Watershed Association, Updated 2016).
- Jones River and Extended Watershed Map. Jones River Watershed Association, 2015.
- Analysis of AREVA Flood Hazard Re-Evaluation Report: Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station, Plymouth, MA. Coastal Risk Consulting. Dec. 2015.
- Feb. 24, 2017. JRWA letter to NRC. Re: Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station, Plymouth, MA (follow-up to conversation after a public hearing that took place in Plymouth, MA on January 31, 2017).
- Dec. 26, 2016. JRWA letter to NRC & DOE. Re: Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station, Plymouth, Massachusetts (aerial photos raising concern about flooding/storms). [Appendices]
- Aug. 4, 2016. Letter from NRC to Entergy. Re: Pilgrim – Interim Staff Response to Reevaluated Flood Hazards Submmitted in Response to 10 CFR 50.54(f) Information Request – Flood-causing Mechanism Reevaluation.
- Feb. 29, 2016. JRWA letter to NRC. Re: Updated NGRP Site Maps for Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station.
- Jan. 18, 2016. JRWA letter to NRC. Re: Analysis of AREVA Flood Hazard Re-Evaluation Report for Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station.
- Feb. 11, 2015. JRWA letter to NRC. Re: Entergy’s Hazard Reevaluation Report of Pilgrim Nuclear Power Station, Plymouth, MA (License No. DPR-35).
- Is Nuclear Power “Clean Energy”? CCBW, Factsheet (updated March 2016)
- Nuclear Power and Climate: Why Nukes Can’t Save the Planet NIRS (June 2014)
- How Pilgrim Impacts Marine Life CCBW, Fact Sheet (2014)
- What is Thermal Pollution? CCBW, Fact Sheet (2014)
- Pilgrim Coalition’s Decommissioning Forum (June 14, 2016)
- Pilgrim Nuclear Plant: A Panel Discussion Hosted by the Pilgrim Coalition (April 2, 2014)