- Deadline for the public to submit comments has passed (7/21). Final comments were submitted to DEP on July 21, 2014. Click here to read the final packet →
- Jones River Watershed Association was given a 10-day extension by DEP to submit comments. Click here to read the second packet of public comments submitted on July 31, 2014 →
The shoreline of Cape Cod Bay is public land, held in trust for everyone to use. Since 1968, the state has been giving Pilgrim’s owner permits to take and use these our public lands for its nuclear power operations. Entergy, a profit making corporation, is using our public land along the shoreline of Cape Cod Bay for its private purposes.
The state should not grant Entergy this permit, and it should revoke the four prior permits it has issued.
Entergy is asking the state Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) for a 30-year permit under the Public Waterfront Act (Mass. General Laws chapter 91) to use the public lands along the Cape Cod Bay shoreline in front of Pilgrim to install equipment for an emergency cooling water system. Entergy needs this to comply with the NRC “Fukumshima Fixes” order by the NRC. The reason why Entergy’s “Fukushima fix” is flawed is contained in this July 2014 Pilgrim Watch report.
In order to grant the permit, DEP must find that “the project serves a proper public purpose which provides greater benefits than detriments to the public rights in tidelands.” The public has the right to comment on whether it thinks Entergy should be allowed to use public lands for this project.
Here are some additional resources:
- DEP’s PUBLIC NOTICE; however the deadline to comment has passed (7/21/14)
- Entergy’s Waterways permit application
- Chapter 91: An overview and summary
- Pilgrim’s 1968 waterways permit
- Pilgrim’s 1969 waterways permit
- Pilgrim’s 1971 waterways permit
- Pilgrim’s 1977 waterways permit
- Pilgrim’s FLEX plan (Feb. 2013)
Here are some additional files from MassDEP:
- March 1994 Waterways Permit Conditions Permit 254
- Sept. 2014 Beals and Thomas Letter to MassDEP
- Sept. 2014 Entergy Supplemental Information
- May 2002 Federal Register – Final Rule re: Safety and Security Zone at Pilgrim
- Safety and Security Zone Exhibit
- Aug. 2014 – Supplemental Email
- Sept. 2014 – Supplemental Emails
- Supplemental Handwritten Notes
- Supplemental Mean Low Water Research/Maps
- Supplemental Abutters List
- Sept. 2014 – Revised Plan Submission
- Public Notice – Pilgrim Image
- MassDEP Handwritten Notes on Waterways Licence
- License 399 – missing pages 4 and 5
- May 2014 Chap. 91 Waterways Application
Watch video of the Nov. 18th MassDEP/Entergy hearing about this project HERE.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 508-585-2322.